It’s a new year with new resolutions. Here is one resolution that will be easy to keep:
WEAR SUNSCREEN DAILY!!
Did you know that:
- About 90% of non-melanoma skin cancers are caused by ultra-violet exposure
- One person dies from melanoma every hour
- Skin cancer accounts for almost 50% of all cancers
- More than one million cases of skin cancer will be diagnosed this year
- Most skin cancers are preventable
- The annual cost of treating nonmelanoma skin cancer in the United States is estimated at $4.8 billion
- The annual cost of treating melanoma is estimated at #3.3 billion
Sunscreen is one of the best deterrents against skin cancer and skin damage.
Going skiing? Snow reflects 80% of the sun’s rays. Taking a tropical vacation? Sand reflects 25% of the sun’s rays. Damage from ultra violet radiation is cumulative through our lifespan. Using sunscreen will not only help prevent skin cancer, it will also slow the aging process of our skin.
Daily use of sunscreen is one New Years resolution which will be easy to keep!!
See Peggy Vernon speak at the Skin, Bones, Hearts & Private Parts CME Conference in Nashville this May.